A crowdsourcing platform providing access to newly digitised material relating to historical published articles by Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Alan Turing and Stephen Hawking.
A fascinating project with incredible material from the Royal Society Digital Archives.
The platform utilises the IIIF image format to deliver high-resolution images, which can then be tagged and annotated using custom annotation tools.
The pilot project was run in agile sprints, developing and testing new features in each sprint. The challenges were:
- Creating an IA to allow easy ways to find material
- Keeping a strong element of discovery and exploration
- The mix of collections of content together versus individual items
- Designing custom annotation tools
- Visual Design being limited to an existing pattern library