During our trip in South America we always joked about the Rules of Travelling: basic rules of thumb that ensure that you get the most out of your travels with the least amount of hassle/pain/irritation, especially when backpacking. These will also work on city trips.
The Rules have been developed and refined on the numerous trips we’ve collectively made throughout the last 30-or-so years. As my last post, I want to share them with you.
- Drink water whenever you can. Sub rule: Always take a water bottle with you wherever you go.
- Use the toilet whenever you can. You never know when/what the next toilet is going to be like. Sub rule: Always carry toilet paper and antiseptic hand gel on you.
- Withdraw/exchange money whenever you can.
- Sleep whenever you can. You never know when the next comfortable bed will be available.
- Eat whenever you can. Sub rule: Always carry snacks with you, ideally enough to cover one whole meal.
- Always take a water/wind proof jacket with you. It can rain/blow even in the most unlikely places.
- Always have basic medication with you to last two days. Someone is going to need it.
- If in doubt, add more sun tan lotion. You get burned in the most unlikely places.
- If in doubt, take the photo. You can always delete it later. Subrule: Upload the photos whenever you can. The next internet caf is likely to have a really slow connection 🙂
- Finally a top tip for preventing “holiday hangover”: start planning your next trip while travelling. Even better if you can book it before you go!
P.S. Check out our 50 favourite photos from the trip